Okay you guys, this is HUGE! I was fortunate enough to be invited to a pre-screening event for Me Before You… and both the author and lead actress were there!!!!!
Sure, they only stuck around long enough to say hello and introduce the movie a bit, but I was in the same room as Emilia Clarke! Amazing!
I don’t want to give anything away, so I’m just going to tell you a few thoughts that I had after seeing the movie.
- This movie is wonderful. I have read the book. I have discussed the book at length with other readers. And I can still say that I enjoyed the film very much. You should go watch it when it comes out. Bring tissue.
- The movie is a much more straightforward telling of the story that Jojo Moyes wrote. Subplots and backstory don’t play a huge role in this film. I totally understand that because a movie has a set time limit and can only hold so much, but there were some really heart-wrenching moments in the book that I wish had made the cut.
- Patrick is WAY less of a dick in the movie. In fact, if you were only to watch the movie you would probably think he was a pretty okay guy. So, fear not, Longbottom fans. People won’t be rioting in the streets because Neville joined the dark side.
- Emilia Clarke is absolutely adorable in this role. At first I wasn’t sure if she would really sync with my imagined version of Lou, but I can honestly say that she fits the character perfectly. Anyone who is thinking of her as Daenerys likely can’t see it yet, but watching this movie gave me a whole new appreciation for her acting talents.
- If you don’t want to be seen ugly crying in a movie theatre, you should read the book first. I knew what was going to happen and there were still tears (see above for warning to bring tissue). Luckily got my truly ugly crying out while reading the book.
Additional thoughts on the event…
- if I ever get a chance to go to one of these things again, I have to remember not to leave my tablet in my purse. I was very lucky to be able to leave it with a theatre manager while I was at the screening, but don’t want to have to go through that again. They are SERIOUS when they say “no recording devices”, even though my phone probably has a better camera on it than my little old iPad.
- even in the most comfy seats, sitting in the same position for 2 hours the day after you did squats for the first time is super uncomfortable